Elkton Presbyterian Church is looking for a half-time Director of Youth Ministry who has a demonstratable, committed relationship with Christ and a real burden for today’s youth; someone deeply dedicated to lead the next generation into faith and discipleship with creativity, able to connect with kids in our rapidly changing world.
Position: Director of Youth Ministry
Approximately 20 hours/week; Compensation TBD
The Elkton Presbyterian Church, Elkton, Maryland has an available half-time position for the Director of Youth Ministry.
This person must have a demonstratable, committed relationship with Christ and a real burden for today’s youth; someone deeply dedicated to lead the next generation into faith and discipleship with creativity, able to connect with kids in our rapidly changing world.
An ideal candidate will be:
- Christ-centered: Someone with a faith-filled relationship in Christ, led by Scripture, committed to growing in Christ, and filled with Jesus’s mission to others.
- Of strong character: A person who is honest, humble enough to learn, dependable, and who works well with youth and adults.
- Spirit-led: A person inclined to listen to God’s Spirit—and to other people—as they discern direction, and able to share that vision effectively with the youth ministry team and church family.
- Innovative: One who will try something new, and if it fails, ready to try something else.
- Focused on relationships: The youth minister should be strong in developing relationships with young people, with fellow adults on the ministry team, and with the church and community. Youth ministry happens through relationships.
- A strong leader: A person who plans and carries out ministry, including training others on his or her team. He or she should be willing to engage in intense discussion and hard work with other leaders to build a new vision for our young people.
- Outreach-minded: A youth minister who loves our young people and who also feels a call to connect with the larger community.
The Director of Youth Ministry’s responsibilities:
Provide opportunities for youth and young adults to form a personal relationship with Jesus.
Lead youth into growing their faith as members in the larger body of Christ—including worship, discipleship, and service.
Attract youth to our program by creating a safe, secure environment where they all feel welcomed and acknowledged for who they are.
Lead a team who will plan, develop, and implement a comprehensive youth ministry.
Mentor youth and young adults in developing their leadership skills.
Encourage youth by attending school and community activities, as well as making home visits as needed.
Provide consistent communication with parents about the youth program and ask for their involvement.
Must be able to take advantage of technology and social media to effectively inform and engage youth.
Attend weekly worship service at EPC as well as staff meetings and other meetings as requested by the pastor.
- Bachelor’s degree in an area relevant to youth ministry and/or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Ability to lead youth in growing in faith and in studying the Bible.
- Familiarity with adolescent development and culture.
- Skilled communicator with good organizational skills, able to work independently.
- Adaptable and creative.
- Able to fully take advantage of all technology and social networking opportunities.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
The Youth Ministry Director is responsible to the Pastor as Head of Staff and to the Session through the Christian Education Team. The Pastor will provide direct supervision and an annual performance appraisal.
To apply: If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com or call 410-398-4636